Monday, January 18, 2016

Healthy Eating: Breakfast Smoothie 2.0

Still on my smoothie kick! It's been really refreshing every morning at work to have something nutritious and tasty to start my day. (And I'm still getting in my protein shake, so huzzah) Here is my latest creation. It's so freaking delicious. It keeps me full for hours, which is especially nice when I have a busy day. In the future I think I will hesitate to use mangoes. They are crazy high carb/high sugar. Not that carbs are bad, but I don't want to skyrocket my blood sugar that much first thing in the morning.

I prep my smoothies into kits that I can freeze. That way in the morning all I have to do is grab and go! I documented my full kit prep, if you're just looking for the recipe feel free to skip ahead.


Mangoes were a yummy addition, but they are A LOT of work to get the fruit from. My friend Sariah taught me how to properly cut a mango a few years ago. Cut along each side of the pit, and score the fruit to get it out of the skins. (Mangoes are also PACKED with sugar, so it adds all of the carbs)



So I actually purchased 2 pounds of fresh strawberries because they were on sale. Sometimes frozen strawberries are really bitter, so I was happy to have some nice ripe strawberries to add to my smoothie.

I froze half of them via my lovely food saver. Probably one of the smartest purchases of my adult life.


I don't have much of an opinion when it comes to the organic vs. nonorganic options at the grocery store with the exception of lettuce. I have been purchasing the Earthbound Farms organic powergreens. (Which consist of chard, kale, and spinach). When you manipulate the lettuce that much, it releases all the nutrients that are packed into the plant. That being said, it can also release any toxins it may be holding. I don't want to hurt my gut with pesticides, so I usually get organic greens.


Finished product. I pack these little suckers into the freezer, and my morning is so much SMOOTHer. Haha!


I ultimately put the protein baggies in with the smoothie baggies. It just makes the grab and go a little more brainless. Haha.




SASSY SHUEY STRAWBERRY MANGO PROTEIN SMOOTHIE

SINGLE SERVE:
1/2 mango
5 strawberries
1/3 banana
2 cups power greens
1 container Dannon Fit n' Light Greek Strawberry
1 scoop whey vanilla protein powder

Throw all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!

PREP PACKETS (6 servings)
3 mangoes
1 LB strawberries
2 bananas
2 containers of Earthbound Farms power greens
6 containers of Dannon Fit n' Light Greek Strawberry
6 scoops why vanilla protein powder

Same instructions as above. Separate into baggies and freeze. (Keep yogurt in fridge until intended use)





No comments:

Post a Comment